Stir Fry Recipe – Wok this Way
Hot out of pan, wok this way into a palate pleasing meal that is flaming with flavor. This has been a wok in progress developing a stir fry recipe in which we have removed the gluten (soy sauce), sugar and substituted vegetable/canola oil with grapeseed oil for a much healthier option.
Protein Marinade Ingredients:
1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs or lean steak
2 TBS Coco Aminos (a gluten-free & healthier version of soy sauce made from coconuts)
2 tsp Mirin (Japanese Wine)
*1 TB (separated) Salute Sante Grapeseed Oil — healthy and ideal for high heat cooking
Add coco aminos and mirin in a small to medium sized bowl and mix well. Pat dry chicken or steak and cut into small, thin chunks then place in marinade bowl. Thoroughly mix meat.
Stir Fry Sauce:
¼ cup Coco Aminos
1 TBS Mirin
1 TBS Sweet miso
2 tsp Toasted sesame oil
2 tsp Rice vinegar
¼ to ½ tsp red chile flake
Add all ingredients in a small bowl, mix well, and set aside.
Vegetable & Seasoning Ingredients:
1 TB Fresh peeled grated ginger
½ TBS Fresh peeled grated turmeric
1 TB minced garlic
1 Medium onion cut up in ⅛ chunks
About 4 cups of a combo of 3-4 of your favorite seasonal vegetables cut into small chunks (broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, kale, winter squash, bok choy, daikon, mushrooms, etc.)
Drain small canned of sliced water chestnuts
*2 ½ TBS (separated) of Grapeseed oil — used for cooking
- Put ginger, turmeric, and garlic in a small bowl
- Place onion in separate bowl
- Have chopped veggies ready to go in a large bowl
- Heat wok first before adding oil. You can test when the wok is ready by putting a drop of water and when it evaporates (before adding the oil), then it’s ready. Ingredients will be less likely to stick to the wok if it’s heated first.
- Leave plenty of room for ingredients and stir fry in small batches to prevent steaming.
Stir Fry Directions:
- Heat wok on high for about 30 seconds and add ½ TB of Grapeseed oil in wok.
- Add protein in small batches. when it is fully cooked, remove, put on a plate, and set aside. Repeat process and add ½ TB of oil when oil dissipates from wok.
- Keep temperature on high. Put in ½ TB of oil and add onions until it starts to turn golden brown, use spatula or tongs to separate onion pieces.
- Add 1 TB of oil, put in ginger, turmeric, and garlic. Mix and stir for about 20-30 seconds.
- Add 1 TB of oil, place vegetables starting with the dense ones first (ex: broccoli, winter squash, cauliflower) until it softens but is still crunchy. Add each veggie and continue to stir.
- Mix in water chestnuts at the end and stir well.
- Put protein back in wok and add stir fry sauce. Cook a few minutes longer. Thoroughly mix your stir fry.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
- Serve with your favorite rice.
Each time we make this one wok meal, it varies because you can change up vegetables for what you are craving or what’s in season. Take a pass on Chinese take out and make it a stir fry day.