The Ultimate Bhutan Breakfast
Food and travel are our passions. Often it’s those home cooked meals from our travels that trigger our fondest memories. I brought back our most savory souvenir, a Bhutanese breakfast from a 6-day trek. Our mornings started off with “Mr. Chef” huddled and hovering in a small tent making us an egg dish called Gondo Datshi and Fried Rice. On the last day, “Mr. Chef” gave us a cooking demo on how to make this heavenly, hearty, and cheesy egg dish that powered us through a day of hiking in high altitudes.
- 1 cup water
- 4 TBS butter
- 4 ounces or ½ cup of goat cheese with herbs
- A few grinds of sea salt
- A pinch of dried chili pepper flakes optional
- 4 Eggs
- Boil water and then butter in a small pot. Whisk butter as it melts.
- Add cheese and whisk until it’s blended thoroughly. Once cheese is melted, add salt and red chile pepper flakes. Crack each egg and whisk one at a time into butter/cheese mixture in pot until it is completely integrated.
- Keep stove top temperature at simmering boil while mixing. When liquids dissipate and texture looks like creamy scrambled eggs then it is ready. It should take about 20+ minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste
Repurpose leftover rice for a side dish that sizzles.
- 2 tsp Salute Santé original grapeseed oil or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup of finely chopped onions
- ¼ cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped purple cabbage
- 1 cup of your favorite leftover cooked rice
- Soy Sauce to taste or Coco Aminos (gluten-free soy sauce alternative made from coconuts)
- Heat frying pan, add oil then add onions, and red bell pepper. Let it soften on medium-high and lower stove temperature if necessary.
- Turn stove up to medium-high and add cabbage. Stir until it begins to wilt.
- Put in leftover rice and mix well. Add soy sauce or coco amino.
- Serve hot with Gondo Datshi
We had to trek all the way to the remote country of Bhutan on the Druk trail for a hearty breakfast. Savor the flavors with a simple Bhutanese Breakfast that will fill your insides as you power through your day!
Categories: Recipes, Video Blog
Leave a Reply