Zesty Strawberry Scones
Scones are like a hybrid of muffins and biscuits. Bake up some homemade Strawberry Scones for a breakfast or use leftovers for a deconstructed Strawberry Shortcake. Every bite is loaded with strawberries pieces and a hint of orange zest.
Strawberry Scone Recipe
Servings 8-12, 30 minutes to prep
- 1 ¼ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup of sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- 1 cup diced fresh strawberries
- 3 TBS of melted butter
- ⅔ cup kefir (fermented milk) or buttermilk
- 1 medium or large orange zest (finely grated)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg white
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and cover large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir with whisk until evenly blended.
- In a smaller bowl, combine and mix all wet ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients (including orange zest) to dry ingredients and blend until moist.
- Lightly flour large cutting board and hands. Place dough on board and knead till all ingredients are mixed up.
- You may need to cover hands with more flour to prevent dough from sticking to your hands. Place dough onto baking sheet and press down into a circle with about a ½ inch thickness around the edges.
- Pre-cut into 8-12 wedges but don’t cut all the way through! Sprinkle top of dough with about 2 tsp of sugar.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes or until lightly brown on top and around the edges.
- Let it cool and slice all the way through.
- You can freeze any leftovers.
Making and baking them at home requires about the same effort and time as homemade muffins. This recipe is heavy on taste and lighter on sugar. It’s easy to get sconed on these mildly sweet breakfast pastries.